Tuesday 7 August 2007

Sun, Sea and Sunburn


I set off for the beach with 3 other residents of Cruzy and 6 hours later, we returned. I returned with red knees and a shinny balled spot.

We found ourselves a nice beach, without a toilet, but a wooden hut that sold ice-creams. The beach stretched for about 3km and was busy when we arrived. 3 hours into our tanning session, we were surrounded by people, sun-shades and 100s of children.
The water was crystal clear and the waves were pounding the beach but we could wade out for quite some distance thanks to the shallow banks.

I chose to slap on Sun Factor 20 as I had been liberally plastering myself in Sun Factor 30 for the last 2 months and I looked just as translucent as the day we moved over. Apparently it was water resistant and only needed re-applying every 3 hours. Well I did all that, but I sat cross-legged on the sand and may have forgotten to re-apply on the knees. Boy was I stinging for the following few days.

Alan was home up in the home office and felt the need to enjoy the sun too, so off we went a few days later with the same crowd from the village. This time we headed for Valras, a popular tourist destination. We arrived at 12:00 and managed to find a parking space (Parking is still free along the beaches). Within hours the busy beach became a mass of people and sun-shades. Car loads of people were turning up, even as late at 6pm. Most were from Paris. This weekend was the big exodus from the cities for the coast.

The roads around Cruzy are busier than usual and there a 1000s of cars on what we consider our small country lanes.

We doubt we will make it to Valras until September now as it will be impossible to park or find a spot on the beach until then.

No comments: